Small kentuts.

Ah Moi have decided to set up a charity fund. It's called the:

"Nat's Holiday Funds" aka N.H.F.

I'm not kidding. Please take me seriously... T.T

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not as easy-peasy

"I just made a father the happiest man on earth when I told him his 6-year old autistic daughter could jump backwards for the first time today."

My job is NOT easy. That being said, no job is ever easy. And jobs that are easy are often rendered as low in satisfaction, meant only for the lazy worthless bums.

In so many ways, my job involves SO much of patience. Progress in some children are so slow, I can hardly see it happening. I often need to be reminded to look back at their old files, to see how severe they were, before allowing any chance of dejection to slowly creep into my emotions.

"7-year old ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) girl under my care, is now able to pay attention long enough to learn at school"

Apart from patience, I trained myself to toughen up in the face of disappointed parents. Parents who hoped for nothing but for their children to be "normal". Parents who literally passed their world from their hands to mine, in hope that I can help their children achieve the developmental milestones that are expected of them.

"My case of a severely dyspraxic 8-year old boy can now play ball... just like a normal boy!"

I think its unavoidable in areas of work like mine, to doubt myself sometimes. Am I capable of making a change in these children? Am I really good enough to help these children go about their lives independently like the rest of their peers? Can their parents really trust me so much with their children's future?

I can honestly say... I don't know. I don't know if I'm good enough. I don't know if I'm capable enough. I don't know if I'm smart enough. And I SURE don't know if I can work miracles.

But what I know, is that I do my best. I put in my 110%. I do what I can. Anything within my means, my knowledge, my abilities and skills. Everything I've learnt in training, in books, in observation, in research... I devote to my work in helping these children.

"For the very first time, a 5-year old autistic & ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) communicated with his mum. He wanted to brush teeth on his own :) "

More often that not, when one looks back, the journey is one of the best... that is the journey of helping a child achieve his/her full potential in life. But when one is right smack in the middle of the journey, its one hell of a roller coaster ride. The pain these kids will put you through.... sometimes PHYSICALLY *stares pitifully at scratch scar on the arm*... you end up thinking if its worth it at all.

"A 4-year old autistic boy could finally answer "I'm fine" to the question "How are you?" for the first time last month"

Then again, I constantly remind myself how grateful and appreciative I am to be given an opportunity at this job. Its one of the best job any fresh graduate with an interest to major in child psych would hope for.

First hand experiences in helping these FORTUNATE children step out of the world they're UNFORTUNATELY trapped in.

I honestly can't ask for more. All thanks and glory unto His name.

May the good Lord continue to grant me the patience, the wisdom and the heart to help the children, one at a time.

"I LOVE BEING A CHILD THERAPIST"

I chao first,
Ah Moi

ps: the quotes in "..." are my very own cases :)

3 comments:

Chang said...

I'm so proud of you :)
My heroine :)
The kid's heroine :)

NatC. said...

Hahaha, heroine as in the she-hero or the drug? :D

Chang said...

She-hero of course :)
Spidiewoman